Thursday, November 26, 2009

Sleepless Nights - King Diamond (EP)

As soon as I heard the opening track "Radio Silence" off the Halifax-based Sleepless Nighs' new EP, something clicked. There are some bands you come to like over time and there are some that you instantly connect with. "King Diamond" was my first exposure to the band and I was intrigued by their shoegaze-inspired approach to punk. The EP is surprisingly dynamic and diverse considering it only spans 4 tracks. The vocals are defined and very comparable to those of the Weakerthans' John Sampson. Sleepless Nights are able to create the "wall of sound" effect often associated with shoegaze while working in hooks and melodies that compliment the vocals beautifully. After downloading this EP for free (!) off the band's website, I can now consider my self a fan. At 13 minutes and 4 songs, this EP is a cruel tease of what this band can do.

8/10

http://thesleeplessnights.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment